Route 940 (Main St.) Middle Sackville
Silver Lake provides the ideal spot for fresh water swimming, boating and fishing. During the summer months, the swimming area is clearly marked and a lifeguard is on duty during the afternoons. Boaters have access to the large lake via a public ramp. All motorized boats, sailboats and canoes must have proper safety equipment on board to use the facilities. Try trout fishing at Silver Lake with some easy access points along the bank or near the boat launch.
Beech Hill Picnic Park
Exit 500 Hwy#2
This wooded area just off the highway provides an excellent spot for picnicking and a good rest stop. Picnic tables and outdoor washrooms are available. The park also has walking trails and a panoramic view of the Tantramar Marsh. In winter, Beech Hill Park becomes the main area for cross-country skiing. Enjoy three trails covering 1.8, 3.0, and 5.0 kilometers through the forest area. Start at the signpost in the park and follow the coloured trail markers for a delightful scenic winter-escape.
Drop into the Bridge St. Café, 8 Bridge St. to enjoy the Sackville Farmers Market on Saturdays, 9 am - noon. From May to October, the Saturday market expands into Bridge Street's downtown block. The market bustles with shoppers and vindors. Featuring baked goods, ethnic foods, fresh meats, eggs, and cheeses, fresh producs, arts, crafts and weekly local entertainment.
42 Fairfield Rd. • Tel. 536-3437
One of the oldest courses in New Brunswick, the nine hole Sackville golf course is very playable. Club rentals, power carts available. Licensed club house has a snack counter which operates on week ends.
- Public tennis courts may be reserved at the Sackville Recreation Centre. Call 364-4955.
- Mount Allison courts are open to the public at scheduled times. Call 364-2408 or 364-2401.## Indoor Activities
Canoeing and Kayaking
The Sackville area boasts both lakes/rivers and coastal canoeing and kayaking opportunities. Lake and river opportunities include Gaspereau River, Silver Lake and Tintarmarre National Wildlife area. For more detailed information on these areas, contact the Sackville Visitor Information 364-4967. Coastal canoeing and kayaking can take place in Shepody Bay, Baie Verte and the Northumberland Strait. Please note our coastal waters have strong currents in some places.
Try fishing at the Jolicure Lakes near Jolicure (on the way to PEI) and at Joe Brook, on MountView Road. Fishing on the Tantramar River in Sackville will also provide opportunities for catching trout and perch. Ice fishing on Silver Lake will reward the patient fisherman with Brown Trout. The local trout season extends from April 15 to September 30. Non-residents must acquire a valid NB Sport Fishing License. Three-day, seven-day and seasonal licenses can be obtained at the Service New Brunswick office in Sackville. Once purchased, these licenses may be used at any NB location.
The Sackville Snowdrifters Snowmobile Club maintains 160 km of groomed trails in the Sackville area, with access to accommodations, food, fuel and neighboring trail systems.
Hunt for treasures of the past by visiting Sackville dealers
- The Curiosity Shop, 36 York Street. Antiques, collectibles, linens, glassware, and jewellery are creatively displayed throughout one of Sackville's older homes.
- Uncle Larry's at 26 Bridge St. (536-2837) has pool tables and is licensed, with smoke-free area and fireplace.
- Sackville Bowling Centre, 27 Bridge St., is open to the public. Please call ahead for reservations at 536-2530.
Vogue Theatre: Enjoy new releases in an old-style theatre, 9 Bridge Street; Serving refreshments in the canteen. Call 536-0722 for features playing. September to April enjoy Sackville Film Society features on Thursday evenings.
Computer Access Centre
- Tap the Net. Internet and Email services provided along with Word Processing available for public use at an hourly fee. Call ahead and book your seat. Housed at the Sackville Public Library, Main St., 364-4915.
- Mount Allison Gymnasium and Fitness Centre are open to the public at scheduled times. Daily and weekly rates. Call 364-2408 or 364-2401.
- Crossfit Sackville Call 860-0166.
Genealogy -- Research your roots. Local research centres include:
Boultenhouse Heritage Centre 29 Queens Road. Phone 536-2541
Sackville Public Library, 68 Main St. Information on census, marriage and some published family histories. Phone 364-4915
Maritime Church Conference Office, 32 York St. Open by appointment only. Phone 536-0998.
Mount Allison Library Archives: for information and hours of operation.
Keillor House in Dorchester, phone 1-800-822-6633 for information and hours.
- Eudora Day Spa & Wellness Studio, 157 Bridge St. Aesthetics and massage therapy. Tel. 536-1100
- Mount Allison Indoor Pool is open for public swims at scheduled times. Call 364-2403.